View Previous Handbook Editions

Non-Award Enrolment

What is a Non-Award Enrolment

Non-award enrolment refers to all enrolments in courses or a sequence of courses which do not lead to or count towards a formal award (e.g. degree or diploma) of the University of New South Wales

Non-award enrolments fall into two categories, voluntary and cross-institutional.

  • A voluntary course enrolment is where the student enrols in a course either out of interest, or to develop professional competence in an area of specialisation. Students enrolled for award programs sometimes simultaneously enrol voluntarily in courses additional to their award requirements. Students should note that they are liable to pay Student Activity Fees each session at the published rate.
  • A cross-institutional enrolment is where the student enrols in a course at UNSW for credit towards an award at another Australian tertiary institution in which the student is concurrently enrolled. Before an application for cross-institutional enrolment can be approved, the student must submit both the home institution's written confirmation that the course applied for will be credited towards award requirements and a certified copy of the student's complete academic transcript. Undergraduate cross-institutional enrolments will incur Student Contribution liability for the courses taken at UNSW in addition to the liability at the student's home institution. Students enrolled as local fee paying students at their home institution will also be charged tuition fees at UNSW. Postgraduate students undertaking courses from programs, whether cross-institutional or non-award, may be liable for tuition fees even though they may be liable for Student Contributions at their home institution. Postgraduate cross-institutional students may apply for FEE-HELP if eligible. International students are permitted to enrol on a cross-institutional basis, and are charged tuition fees for their courses.

What are the Rules and Guidelines Governing Non-Award Enrolment?

The following principles and rules govern the acceptance and enrolment by the University of non-award students, and of students enrolled in award programs in courses which are additional to their award requirements.

  1. Non-award enrolment in a course, taken either voluntarily or cross institutionally, may be permitted provided that the student has appropriate educational qualifications and in each case the Head of School offering the course considers that the student will benefit from the enrolment, that accommodation is available, and that the enrolment does not prevent a place in the course being available to a student proceeding to an award.
  2. The University may limit the number of non-award courses in which a student may enrol, regardless of the permission to enrol that the student may have received from Heads of Schools offering the courses. In general, enrolment will not be permitted in more than four half-year courses in any one academic year.
  3. A student who is under exclusion from any course of the University may not enrol in that course as a voluntary enrolment.
  4. A student who is under exclusion from any program at the University may not enrol in any course which forms a compulsory component of the program from which the student is excluded.
  5. A student who is subsequently admitted to an award program at the University for which the courses completed as a non-award student form a part, may apply for credit for those courses.
  6. As a general rule the University does not permit non-award enrolments in first year undergraduate courses. In addition, the University may decline permission to enrol in a course if the student has not completed prerequisites for that course.

What Fees Will Apply?

Tuition fees are charged according to the classification of the course. For further fee information, please refer to:

How Do I Apply?

Application to enrol as a non-award student must be made on the Non-Award Enrolment application form available from UNSW Student Central or on the UNSW website Permission to enrol as a non-award student is conditional on the permission of the Head of School and authorisation from the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Students) and Registrar. Applicants should follow the instructions provided with the application form.

UNSW Courses

You can find out what courses are offered at UNSW by searching the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Online Handbooks.

Please select the relevant Handbook and then refer to Courses by Subject Area or Courses by A-Z in the Table of Contents to the left-hand side of the page.

Study Levels