Subject Area: Development Studies
This course is offered as the core course in the BA Major in Development Studies and brings together the knowledge acquired in the previous two years of Development Studies. The course exposes to and develops in students a more sophisticated awareness of current development issues, their research, management and implementation. Components of the course also cover employment and the ethical issues of concern in development work and the research needs of the development sector.
Topics Covered delivered in modules will include:
1. Development as a focus of study: Changing concerns and contexts
2. Coverage of current issues that might include: new development theories and strategies; the millennium development goals and their achievement; gender and the development agenda;trade reform after the Doha Round; the question of fair trade; developments in social, economic, political and institutional development.
3. The research agenda in development.
4. The development sector, its institutions and growth.
5. Policy advocacy , communication, community activism and effectiveness in development.
6. Development work: access and ethical issues.
7. Making a difference in development